Wed 26 Aug 2015
Making some simple changes can help improve first impressions, and give your home some cohesion and style.
Here’s our 15 top tips to give home a fresh look on a budget.
1. Paint is the easiest way to achieve an instantly fresh look and you don’t even have to paint the entire room. Paint a contrasting wall, or give a bookcase a statement look. Repaint the ceiling or skirting boards. If you want something a little more challenging there are plenty of contemporary stencils or wall stickers to be found on- line
2. Spruce up your entrance by painting your front door a cheerful colour. Consider new door furniture G John and Sons in Winchmore Hill have a great selection.
3. Update lampshades with new ones in more contemporary shapes or simply fresh white shades. Change the colour of bulbs to add ambiance. Stay away from red!
4. Spruce up your curtains with window dressing, and remove nets. Stick on plastic etching (IKEA) can give your windows a contemporary look without breaking the budget. A new curtain rail draped with a length of fabric will also dress your room. I always enjoy a trip around The Curtain Factory Outlet on Ballards Lane Finchley, you never know what you may fine in there!
5. Give your room some contrast – Pick two colours, nothing too garish! Duck egg and cream, navy and white and co-ordinate accessories in the room to create a theme, Try Store 21 in Palmers Green for inexpensive cushions, throws and accessories.
6. De- Clutter and be selective. A few statement pieces are great but too much can be over whelming
7. Re-locate your art, as if seeing them for the first time try shuffling your artwork around to give your room a fresh feel.
8. Create your own ‘Wall of Art’ arrange family photos in frames to create your own art instillation. Try laying them out on the floor first to ensure you are happy with the design
9. Replace your light fitting, whether you want a contemporary look or a vintage feel light fittings can change the style of a room easily. Be sure to use a qualified electrician.
10. Hunt on eBay or freecycle.org regularly for finds. It’s amazing what bargains or even free items you can find– but like any good flea market shopper, be sure to check regularly, as good things go fast.
11. Make a great impression by Re-tiling kitchen backsplashes. With only a few square feet of tile you can afford to spend a little extra
12. Pick up some chic bathroom accessories and stylish storage options. Store 21 in Palmers Green has some inexpensive storage options.
13. In the Bathroom replace your shower curtain and curtain hooks, for an instant uplift, consider replace curtains with glass screens to give the appearance of space and give your bathroom a makeover. Blech grout to add that bit of sparkle to your tiles.
14. Replacing an old tap with a modern one can instantly update your bathroom. And pick up some nice new towels.
15. Maximize light in a dark room by hanging a framed mirror directly opposite the window and add a side light to help give you that cosy feel.
"Anthony Webb appealed to us due to the support they give the local community. Our property was marketed well and our property pictures were excellent. The staff were great at showing our property and we would recommend them to others considering selling"